Technician (Element 2) Amateur Radio Examination
Serial No: 8762
1. [T1A02] What is one of the basic purposes of the Amateur Radio Service as defined in Part 97?
A. To support teaching of amateur radio classes in schools
B. To provide a voluntary noncommercial communications service to the public, particularly in times of emergency
C. To provide free message service to the public
D. To allow the public to communicate with other radio services
2. [T1B04] What FCC call sign program might you use to obtain a call sign containing your initials?
A. The vanity call sign program
B. The sequential call sign program
C. The special event call sign program
D. There is no FCC provision for choosing a your call sign
3. [T1C04] Which frequency is within the 6-meter band?
A. 49.00 MHz
B. 52.525 MHz
C. 28.50 MHz
D. 222.15 MHz
4. [T1D10] The FCC requires which address to be kept up to date on the Universal Licensing System database?
A. The station location address
B. The station licensee mailing address
C. The station location address and mailing address
D. The station transmitting location address
5. [T9A01] What is a beam antenna?
A. An antenna built from metal I-beams
B. An antenna that transmits and receives equally well in all directions
C. An antenna that concentrates signals in one direction
D. An antenna that reverses the phase of received signals
6. [T9B02] What might be happening when we hear a VHF signal from long distances?
A. Signals are being reflected from outer space
B. Someone is playing a recording to us
C. Signals are being reflected by lightning storms in our area
D. A possible cause is sporadic E reflection from a layer in the ionosphere
7. [T9C05] What happens to the power lost in a feed line?
A. It increases the SWR
B. It comes back into your transmitter and could cause damage
C. It is converted into heat by losses in the line
D. It can cause distortion of your signal
8. [T8A06] What is legally required to restrict a frequency to emergency-only communication?
A. An FCC declaration of a communications emergency
B. Determination by the designated net manager for an emergency net
C. Authorization by an ARES/RACES emergency coordinator
D. A Congressional declaration of intent
9. [T8B07] What could be used as an alternate source of power to operate radio equipment during emergencies?
A. The battery in a car or truck
B. A bicycle generator
C. A portable solar panel
D. All of these answers are correct
10. [T8C06] What is of primary importance for a net control station?
A. A dual-band transceiver
B. A network card
C. A strong and clear signal
D. The ability to speak several languages
11. [T0A07] What is the most important thing to consider when installing an emergency disconnect switch at your station?
A. It must always be as near to the operator as possible
B. It must always be as far away from the operator as possible
C. Everyone should know where it is and how to use it
D. It should be installed in a metal box to prevent tampering
12. [T0B08] What is a safe distance from a power line to allow when installing an antenna?
A. Half the width of your property unless the wires are at least 23 feet high
B. 12.5 feet in most metropolitan areas
C. 36 meters plus 1/2 wavelength at the operating frequency
D. So that if the antenna falls unexpectedly, no part of it can come closer than 10 feet to the power wires
13. [T0C10] Which of the following units of measurement is used to measure RF radiation exposure?
A. Milliwatts per square centimeter
B. Megohms per square meter
C. Microfarads per foot
D. Megahertz per second
14. [T3A05] What term describes a brief test transmission that does not include any station identification?
A. A test emission with no identification required
B. An illegal un-modulated transmission
C. An illegal unidentified transmission
D. A non-voice ID transmission
15. [T3B10] What emission modes are permitted in the restricted sub-band at 144.0-144.1 MHz?
A. CW only
B. CW and RTTY
C. SSB only
D. CW and SSB
16. [T3C01] What is the proper way to break into a conversation between two stations that are using the frequency?
A. Say your call sign between their transmissions
B. Wait for them to finish and then call CQ
C. Say "Break-break" between their transmissions
D. Call one of the operators on the telephone to interrupt the conversation
17. [T3D04] What is the proper course of action if you unintentionally interfere with another station?
A. Rotate your antenna slightly
B. Properly identify your station and move to a different frequency
C. Increase power
D. Change antenna polarization
18. [T4A04] What is the name of a current that flows only in one direction?
A. An alternating current
B. A direct current
C. A normal current
D. A smooth current
19. [T4B09] What property of a radio wave is often used to identify the different bands amateur radio operators use?
A. The physical length of the wave
B. The magnetic intensity of the wave
C. The time it takes for the wave to travel one mile
D. The voltage standing wave ratio of the wave
20. [T4C07] What is the nominal voltage per cell of a fully charged nickel-cadmium battery?
A. 1.0 volts
B. 1.2 volts
C. 1.5 volts
D. 2.2 volts
21. [T4D11] What is the current flowing through a 24 ohm resistor connected across 240 volts?
A. 24,000 amperes
B. 0.1 amperes
C. 10 amperes
D. 216 amperes
22. [T4E07] How many milliamperes is the same as 1.5 amperes?
A. 15 milliamperes
B. 150 milliamperes
C. 1500 milliamperes
D. 15000 milliamperes
23. [T6A10] What is the approximate bandwidth of a frequency-modulated voice signal?
A. Less than 500 Hz
B. About 150 kHz
C. Between 5 and 15 kHz
D. More than 30 kHz
24. [T6B05] What method is used to transfer data by IRLP?
A. VHF Packet radio
C. Voice over Internet protocol
D. None of these answers are correct
25. [T6C07] What is PSK31?
A. A high-rate data transmission mode used to transmit files
B. A method of reducing noise interference to FM signals
C. A type of television signal
D. A low-rate data transmission mode that works well in noisy conditions
26. [T7A07] What is a popular operating activity that involves contacting as many stations as possible during a specified period of time?
B. Net operations
C. Public service events
D. Simulated emergency exercises
27. [T7B07] What is Doppler shift?
A. A change in the satellite orbit
B. A mode where the satellite receives signals on one band and transmits on another
C. A change in signal frequency caused by motion through space
D. A special digital communications mode for some satellites
28. [T5A09] Which of these items is not required for a packet radio station?
C. Power source
29. [T5B10] What is the purpose of the "step" menu function found on many transceivers?
A. It adjusts the transmitter power output level
B. It adjusts the modulation level
C. It sets the earphone volume
D. It sets the tuning rate when changing frequencies
30. [T5C12] What is the main reason repeaters should be approved by the local frequency coordinator before being installed?
A. Coordination minimizes interference between repeaters and makes the most efficient use of available frequencies
B. Coordination is required by the FCC
C. Repeater manufacturers have exclusive territories and you could be fined for using the wrong equipment
D. Only coordinated systems will be approved by the officers of the local radio club
31. [T5D10] What could be happening if another operator tells you he is hearing a variable high-pitched whine on the signals from your mobile transmitter?
A. Your microphone is picking up noise from an open window
B. You have the volume on your receiver set too high
C. You need to adjust your squelch control
D. The power wiring for your radio is picking up noise from the vehicle's electrical system
32. [T2A07] Which of the following are specifically prohibited in the Amateur Radio Service?
A. Discussion of politics
B. Discussion of programs on broadcast stations
C. Indecent and obscene language
D. Morse code practice
33. [T2B07] What is a permissible way to identify your station when you are speaking to another amateur operator using a language other than English?
A. You must identify using the official version of the foreign language
B. Identification is not required when using other languages
C. You must identify using the English language
D. You must identify using phonetics
34. [T2C01] What must every amateur station have when transmitting?
A. A frequency-measuring device
B. A control operator
C. A beacon transmitter
D. A third party operator
35. [T2D06] How many persons are required to be members of a club for a club station license to be issued by the FCC?
A. At least 5
B. At least 4
C. A trustee and 2 officers
D. At least 2