General (Element 3) Amateur Radio Examination
Serial No: 32925
1. [G1A04] What are the frequency privileges for a General Class control operator in the 30-meter band?
A. 10100 - 10150-kHz
B. 10100 - 10175-kHz
C. 10125 - 10150-kHz
D. 10125 - 10175-kHz
2. [G1B04] Which of the following does NOT need to be true when an amateur station is being used to gather news information for broadcast purposes?
A. The information is more quickly transmitted by Amateur Radio
B. The information must involve the immediate safety of life of individuals or the immediate protection of property
C. The information must be directly related to the event
D. The information cannot be transmitted by other means
3. [G1C05] What is the maximum transmitting power an amateur station may use on 24.950 MHz?
A. 200 watts PEP output
B. 1000 watts PEP output
C. 1500 watts PEP output
D. 2000 watts PEP output
4. [G1D02] What license examinations may you administer when you are an accredited VE holding a General Class operator license?
B. General only
C. Technician and Morse code
D. Technician, General and Amateur Extra
5. [G1E08] What action must you take while using the 30-meter band when a station assigned to the band's primary service causes interference?
A. Notify the FCC's regional Engineer in Charge of the interference
B. Increase your transmitter's power to overcome the interference
C. Attempt to contact the station and request that it stop the interference
D. Change frequencies; you may be causing harmful interference to the other station, in violation of FCC rules
6. [G1F06] What is the maximum symbol rate permitted for packet emission on the 2-meter band?
A. 300 bauds
B. 1200 bauds
C. 19.6 kilobauds
D. 56 kilobauds
7. [G8A08] Which popular phone emission uses the narrowest frequency bandwidth?
8. [G8B11] In what segment of the 20-meter band are most PSK31 operations found?
A. At the bottom of the slow-scan TV segment, near 14.230 MHz
B. At the top of the SSB phone segment, near 14.325 MHz
C. In the middle of the CW segment, near 14.100 MHz
D. Below the RTTY segment, near 14.070 MHz
9. [G5A08] Why is impedance matching important?
A. So the source can deliver maximum power to the load
B. So the load will draw minimum power from the source
C. To ensure that there is less resistance than reactance in the circuit
D. To ensure that the resistance and reactance in the circuit are equal
10. [G5B01] A two-times increase in power results in a change of how many dB?
A. 1 dB higher
B. 3 dB higher
C. 6 dB higher
D. 12 dB higher
11. [G9A11] Which of the following is NOT a Yagi antenna design variable that should be considered to optimize the forward gain, front-to-rear ratio and SWR bandwidth?
A. The physical length of the boom
B. The number of elements on the boom
C. The spacing of each element along the boom
D. The polarization of the antenna elements
12. [G9B03] Approximately how long is each side of a cubical-quad antenna reflector element for 29.6 MHz?
A. 8.23 feet
B. 8.7 feet
C. 9.7 feet
D. 34.8 feet
13. [G9C10] If a slightly longer parasitic element is placed 0.1 wavelength away and parallel to an HF dipole antenna mounted above ground, what effect will this have on the antenna's radiation pattern?
A. The radiation pattern will not be affected
B. A major lobe will develop in the horizontal plane, away from the parasitic element, toward the dipole
C. A major lobe will develop in the vertical plane, away from the ground
D. A major lobe will develop in the horizontal plane, parallel to the two elements
14. [G9D02] What is the typical characteristic impedance of coaxial cables used for antenna feed-lines at amateur stations?
A. 25 and 30 ohms
B. 50 and 75 ohms
C. 80 and 100 ohms
D. 500 and 750 ohms
15. [G3A03] How long does it take the increased ultraviolet and X-ray radiation from solar flares to affect radio-wave propagation on the earth?
A. The effect is almost instantaneous
B. 1.5 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 20 to 40 hours
16. [G3B14] A short distance hop on 10 meters might indicate what conditions on 6 meters?
A. The MUF exceeds 50 MHz
B. Absolutely no chance of a skywave 6-meter band opening
C. 6-meter ground waves will diminish
D. 10-meter propagation has no bearing on possible 6- meter propagation
17. [G3C08] Why are HF scatter signals usually weak?
A. A part of the signal energy is propagated into the skip zone
B. Auroral activity absorbs most of the signal energy
C. Propagation through ground waves absorbs most of the signal energy
D. The F region of the ionosphere absorbs most of the signal energy
18. [G4A12] What type of signals are used to conduct a two-tone test?
A. Two audio signals of the same frequency, but shifted 90-degrees and are within the transmitter's modulation bandpass
B. Two non-harmonically related audio signals that are within the modulation bandpass of a transmitter
C. Any two audio frequency signals as long as they are within the transmitter's modulation bandpass
D. Two audio frequency range square wave signals of equal amplitude that are within the transmitter's modulation bandpass
19. [G4B10] What type of information does a field strength meter provide?
A. The gain in dBi of an antenna
B. The field pattern of an antenna
C. The presence and amount of phase distortion of a transmitter
D. The presence and amount of amplitude distortion of a transmitter
20. [G4C04] What sound is heard from a public-address system if audio rectification of a nearby CW transmission occurs?
A. On-and-off humming or clicking
B. Audible, possibly distorted speech
C. Muffled, severely distorted speech
D. A steady whistling
21. [G4D07] What size wire is normally used on a 20-ampere, 120-VAC household appliance circuit?
A. AWG number 20
B. AWG number 16
C. AWG number 14
D. AWG number 12
22. [G4E12] What type of coaxial connector would be a good choice to use for 10 GHz feed-line connections?
A. Type N
B. Type BNC
C. Type UHF
D. Type F
23. [G2A06] Which sideband is commonly used for 17-Meter phone operation?
A. Amplitude compandored
24. [G2B12] What is a considerate way to avoid harmful interference when using phone?
A. Ask if the frequency is in use, and say your call sign
B. Call MAYDAY to make sure that the frequency is clear
C. Call CQ for two minutes and see if anyone responds
D. Turn on your amplifier, then go ahead and transmit
25. [G2C12] What information should anyone who sends a distress transmission give to stations who answer?
A. The ITU region and grid square locator of the emergency
B. The location and nature of the distress
C. The time that the emergency occurred and the names of the persons involved
26. [G2D12] Which of the following is required by the FCC rules when operating in the 60-meter band?
A. If you are using other than a dipole antenna, you must keep a record of the gain of your antenna
B. You must keep a record of the date, time, frequency, power level and stations worked
C. No records are required
D. You must keep a record of the manufacturer of your equipment and the antenna used
27. [G2E01] What type of messages may be transmitted to an amateur station in a foreign country?
A. Messages of any type
B. Messages that are not religious, political, or patriotic in nature
C. Messages of a technical nature or personal remarks of relative unimportance
D. Messages of any type, but only if the foreign country has a third-party communications agreement with the US
28. [G2F05] What is the most common frequency shift for RTTY emissions in the amateur HF bands?
A. 85 Hz
B. 170 Hz
C. 425 Hz
D. 850 Hz
29. [G7A04] What should be the minimum peak-inverse-voltage rating of the rectifier in a half-wave power supply?
A. One-quarter to one-half the normal peak output voltage of the power supply
B. Half the normal output voltage of the power supply
C. Equal to the normal output voltage of the power supply
D. One to two times the normal peak output voltage of the power supply
30. [G0A02] Which property is NOT important in estimating RF energy's effect on body tissue?
A. Its duty cycle
B. Its critical angle
C. Its power density
D. Its frequency
31. [G0B08] What amateur frequency bands have the lowest power limits above which an RF environmental evaluation is required?
A. All bands between 17 and 30 meters
B. All bands between 10 and 15 meters
C. All bands between 40 and 160 meters
D. All bands between 1.25 and 10 meters
32. [G0C05] If the free-space far-field power density of an antenna measures 9 milliwatts per square meter at a distance of 5 wavelengths, what will the field strength measure at a distance of 15 wavelengths?
A. 3 milliwatts per square meter
B. 1 milliwatt per square meter
C. 0.9 milliwatt per square meter
D. 0.09 milliwatt per square meter
33. [G0D10] Considering RF safety, which of the following is the best reason to mount the antenna of a mobile VHF transceiver in the center of a metal roof?
A. The roof will greatly shield the driver and passengers from RF radiation
B. The antenna will be out of the driver's line of sight
C. The center of a metal roof is the sturdiest mounting place for an antenna
D. The wind resistance of the antenna will be centered between the wheels and not drag on one side or the other
34. [G0E03] If calculations show that you and your family may be receiving more than the maximum permissible RF radiation exposure from your 20-meter indoor dipole, which of the following steps might be appropriate?
A. Use RTTY instead of CW or SSB voice emissions
B. Move the antenna to a safe outdoor environment
C. Use an antenna-matching network to reduce your transmitted SWR
D. All of these choices are correct
35. [G6A12] Why would it not be a good idea to use a wire-wound resistor in a resonant circuit?
A. The resistor's tolerance value would not be adequate for such a circuit
B. The resistor's inductance would detune the circuit
C. The resistor would overheat
D. The resistor's internal capacitance would detune the circuit